The following are a select few from the sum total of features that KDE 4.4.0 sports.
- Plasma Netbook workspace - An interface specifically optimized for mobile devices with smaller screens.
- Improved window management - KDE 4.4.0 brings with it enhanced application switching using Alt+Tab keyboard shortcut. You can now maximize and tile windows by dragging them to the edge of the screen.
- Plasma widgets improvements - "Add Widget" interface attaches to the user's main panel instead of opening in it's own window. Now it is possible to share Plasma widgets over a network. System tray can now embed Plasma widgets thus reducing visual clutter.
- KDE 4.4.0 now supports new locales, currencies and date formats in its interface.
- A new configuration module to handle automatic mounting of removable drives.
For a full list of features and lots of screenshots and videos demonstrating the enhancements in KDE 4.4.0, head over to the KDE 4.4.0 anouncement page. Also check out the KDE promotional committee YouTube Channel for all the goodies that KDE 4.4.0 has to offer.
KDE Software Compilation 4.4.0 (Codename: "Caikaku") Released9th February, 2010. Today KDE announces the immediate availability of the KDE Software Compilation 4.4, "Caikaku", bringing an innovative collection of applications to Free Software users. Major new technologies have been introduced, including social networking and online collaboration features, a new netbook-oriented interface and infrastructural innovations such as the KAuth authentication framework. According to KDE's bug-tracking system, 7293 bugs have been fixed and 1433 new feature requests were implemented. The KDE community would like to thank everybody who has helped to make this release possible.